Stay Healthy And Walk For Fitness As Your Individual Health Program
Walking for Fitness
- Walking strengthens your heart and lungs, and tones your muscles.
- When walking, your feet land with less impact than in other sports. This reduces chances of muscle, bone, and joint injury.
- Regular walking improves your cholesterol levels and lowers your risk of heart disease. And it helps you control your blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Walking is a weight-bearing activity, which helps maintain bone density. This can help prevent osteoporosis.
- Taking walks can help you relax and manage stress. And fitness walking may make you feel better about yourself.
- Walking can help you sleep better at night and make you less likely to be depressed.
- Regular walking may help maintain your memory as you get older.
- Walking is a great way to spend extra time with friends and family members. Be sure to invite your dog along!
Online Medical Reviewer:Bellendir, Trina, MSPT, CLT
Online Medical Reviewer: Shehzad. MD
Date Last Reviewed:5/9/2015
© 2000-2016 The StayWell Company, LLC. 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.