Stay Healthy Coping On Mental Issues And Get Low Cost Lab Tests Online
Coping with mental health issues
If you are suffering from one or more of these illnesses, treatment will allow you to lead a full, productive life. However difficult and painful they are, these mental illnesses are all eminently treatable. Treatment may include counseling, medicine, or both, possibly along with complementary therapies, such as biofeedback.
It's important to know that you have nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about: These conditions are illnesses, not weaknesses. The same goes for any addictions you might have.
Many men have had difficulty communicating what they're feeling and figuring out how to talk about it. Here are some important first steps:
- Seek medical attention.Your healthcare provider is used to dealing with these issues. He or she can help you get the treatment you need. In some cases, you may be able to resolve your problems with therapy rather than medicine.
- Find healthier ways of sharing your feelings.It can be tempting to yell or act out or turn to drugs or alcohol when you are feeling unhappy. But instead of lashing out in anger, breathe deeply, count to 10, and allow yourself some time to calm down.
- Manage your stress.Stress at work and at home can worsen the symptoms of many mental illnesses. Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself to do things you enjoy. You may also want to see if deep breathing, meditation, or stretching help you relax.
- Get regular exercise.Research suggests that daily exercise can help relieve the symptoms of depression, and that people who exercise regularly in their leisure time are less likely to suffer from this mood disorder.
- Take care of yourself.You deserve it. Besides exercising regularly, get plenty of sleep and eat nutritious meals with lots of fruits and vegetables. Avoid drugs and alcohol abuse. Being gentle with yourself can put you into a better frame of mind to deal with your mood disorder.
Remember, you don't need to be afraid to talk to your healthcare provider about continual anxiety, irritability, depression, or any other unusual moods or symptoms you are experiencing. Getting treatment and learning some coping mechanisms can help bring these disorders under control.
Online Medical Reviewer: Ballas, Paul, DO
Online Medical Reviewer: Nelson, Gail A., MS, APRN, BC
Date Last Reviewed: 7/1/2016
© 2000-2016 The StayWell Company, LLC. 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.